Tuesday, August 27, 2013

8-27-13 - Radiation Oncologist visit - outcome

Well, I have been chastised by my cousin, Carolyn H, that I called this doctor visit by the wrong name.  Instead of Radiology Oncologist (sounded good to me, though), it is Radiation Oncologist.  This is the doctor who orders and supervises the radiation therapy for my cancer.  His name is Dr. Joseph Kelley and I really liked him.  He acted as if I was the only patient he had in his practice.  Period.  He sat and talked and explained and when he was through he asked if I had any questions.  Of course, I had some, and he took time to answer them.

So, I can tell you that the Lord has His hand in this cancer journey of mine.  It went from sounding like a very, very bad outcome to being a pretty hopeful sounding journey. 

Dr. Kelley confirmed that I have plasmasytoma in the collarbone.  He also said he thinks it is the same thing at the T12 vertebra.  Therefore the diagnosis changes to multiple myeloma.  ***My question is why do they have to complicate the diagnosis by changing it's name, but that's for another time and another place because I certainly don't have the answer.***

He is going to do 10 radiation treatments.  They will be on Monday thru Friday until it reaches 10 treatments.  For sure I will start treatment by September 3.  It is possible I will have one this Friday if they can get it scheduled.  This will be on both Collar Bone and T12. 

Tomorrow I go in for a CT Positioning Scan.  This is highly technical but what it amounts to is they scan the two tumors and then make a mark with paint pen on my skin, on my front and back, so they know exactly where to shoot the radiation in order to do the most damage to the bad cells and the least amount of damage to the good  stuff (like lungs, kidneys, etc.)   Tomorrow's appointment will take about an hour.   Each radiation treatment will take about an hour.

Oh, yes, he did tell me that I cannot do any heavy lifting or twisting or anything like that.   Now, for those of you reading this that don't know me personally let me tell you that I lead the most sedentary lifestyle that anyone can without being confined to a wheelchair.  I wear a long leg brace on my right leg and have NEVER been able to twist at the waist (especially trying to turn to the right) because I would lose my balance and fall.   As far as carrying anything, most days I don't even carry my own purse because it throws me off balance.  But, being the good and compliant patient that I am trying to be I promised him faithfully that I would refrain from doing any of that.   LOL

Hey, if I can't have a sense of humor in all this it is going to get pretty depressing so I am taking my fun while I can.

He also told me I should not expect to feel ill while having these treatments.  He said about the end of the treatments that I may feel like I have a mild sunburn in the areas that were treated and that I may feel like I have a case of the flu coming on (which could last 1 to 2 weeks).  The way I look at it that is a good excuse to take a nap!

Still have to find out about the other two tumors but Dr. Kelley said that if this collarbone thing had not been bothering me that we might not have found out about the one in the lung until it was very large and/or had spread.  Right now the tumor in the lung is about the size of a blueberry.

He believes that they will be able to take care of almost everything with chemo without any more radiation. 

So, yes, I do have cancer.  The good thing is that the Lord has lead me to wonderful doctors and I believe He has touched me to make these tumors be something that is up to 85% curable.  I am still praising Him.  

I will probably not post anything else until I have my first radiation treatment.  But, who knows, something awesome might happen that I just have to share.  Who knows?  Only the Lord.  Thank you Lord for loving me and caring about each one of us, even if we don't feel worthy.  I love you, Lord.  And I am trusting You for your touch throughout these treatments.

That's it for now, Gang.  Call me if you wish.  Text or email works too.  And I love the FB messages.  I have so many friends and family that are praying for me.  I thank you for all those prayers that are going up to Heaven on my behalf.  I cherish each and every one.

Be good until next time,

Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment