Thursday, August 7, 2014

August 7, 2014

I owe all of you an apology for not posting sooner.

My excuse....  I have not felt like doing it.

My last post I was in the hospital to receive my Stem Cell Transplant.  I received two chemo treatments for two days and then had one day that they did not do any treatments.  On June 6 I received my stem cells.   A very simple treatment for what it does.  It was like a blood transfusion and lasted about 15 minutes, 2 times.

I was then in the hospital for two weeks.   To tell the truth I had a pretty rough time of it.  No everyone had as bad a time as I did.  I couldn't eat because I got sores in my mouth so bad that I could hardly close my mouth, my tongue felt so thick.  The sores finally cleared up but there was a lot of pain until they did.  '

Even though we had cut all my hair off, I did loose my hair.  It was quite a shock to see it laying on my pillow (although it was not very long, less than an inch).   I am really glad that I had already cut it off.  I believe that the shock of it falling out, along with the way that I felt, would have been really bad.

They gave me some medicine to help with the discomfort of my mouth, etc and all it did was make me sleep, at least 18 to 20 hours a day.  It's hard to build up your strength when you can't stay awake even long enough to take medicine by mouth, much less get up and walk.

While I was in the hospital they changed  up my medicine and took me off of some of my medicine, including my gout medicine.   When I did think to ask about it they said I didn't need it.  Fast forward to the day they were going to discharge me.   I was having gout pain in my right elbow and my left foot.  Should be able to still get around you would think, but remember that I am totally paralyzed on my right leg.  I kept telling the nurses and even the doctor that I was having this pain and what I thought it was.   THEY STILL SENT ME HOME AND WITH NO MEDICINE.

We had to have a perfect stranger to help me into the car because I could not stand because of the pain.   Then my grandson had to come help me into the house.  It took a week before I could stand up and walk, even using my crutches.  Very painful, but thankfully it was over in a week.  But I did start my gout medicine as soon as I got home.

I couldn't eat and didn't want to drink water.  I lost about 20 pounds because of that.  Then one day (July 6) I woke up ready to eat and drink.  And I haven't stopped since.   But I have not put all that weight back on, either. 

I finally am starting to get my brain back.  It has been a long struggle but I think I am really going to make it.  I could not have made it without all the prayers and support from all my friends and family.  Thank you all so much.

As I write this I am waiting for blood test results which will determine whether I get released by my doctor so we can go back to work.  We are really excited about that.  We have been here since November getting treatments and that's a long time.   We thought it might be 3 or 4 months and it is has been double that.  But the Lord has had us here for a reason, even though we don't know how it all fits into his grand plan.

I will still have to have follow-up blood tests about every month or two as well as some Zometa infusions about one time a month for the next two years.  That can be done wherever we are working. 

Thank you, all, for being patient and waiting for this update.  I am feeling so much better now.  I am starting to get out of the house more all the time and my strength will build up and I continue to do that.

Thanks again for all the prayers.   I know the Lord has heard all your voices.

A much healthier
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment